The aim of this course is to enlighten the state of the art in technology, organizational and legislative developments and practices and financial burdens and benefits of handling solid wastes.
It considers solid waste policy (both domestic and international), and examines appropriate methods of storage, collection, transfer, treatment and disposal appropriate for industrialised and developing countries.
There may be opportunities to visit recycling facilities and disposal sites to better understand links between theory and practice.
- understand the implications of the production, resource management, and environmental impact of solid waste management
- understand how components of solid waste management infrastructure systems can minimise these effects
- be aware of the significance of recycling, reuse, and reclamation of solid wastes
- be familiar with relationships between inappropriate waste management practices and impacts on water, soil, and sediment quality
- fully appreciate the current practices available and implement the systems available in solid waste management
- be capable of carrying out an assessment of the relationships between environmental guidelines, human activities, and environmental quality of impacted soils and water
- be able to integrate technical solid waste management options and imposed environmental legislation and guidance to develop legal and safe solutions
- General background (waste, MFA, economics).
- Sources, quantities and composition.
- Legislation, regulation and control.
- Reuse and recycling.
- Recycling technologies.
- Waste management behaviour (people).
- Industrial solid waste (audits, minimisation).
- Waste composition and stabilisation behaviour.
- Landfill site design and management.
- Risk assessment of landfills.
- Pollution from landfills.
- Leachate fate, attenuation and treatment.
- Industrial waste strategies.
- Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) strategies.
- Decision Support Systems (DSS) for MSW.
- Solid waste issues in emerging and developing countries.
1 Week Face to Face Classes
2 Week Face to Face Classes
- 7147 Views
- 8 Weeks Online
- 1-2 Weeks Classes