Environmental, Urban & Regional Planning
The Environmental Management and Regulation short course provides you with essential training in new regulatory developments to better navigate a range of complex issues related to environmental resources and extortion. The course covers a wide range of topics, including both legal and biological aspects of environmental management, ecological frameworks of environmental systems, environmental resource economics and auditing, as well as strategies for waste reduction and disposal and air pollution control.
The course provides you with an in-depth review, discussion forum and case studies towards a better understanding of the issues and regulations that are at work to protect the environment.
Corporate Environmental Planning and Management examines corporate responsibility and accountability in the context of companies’ environmental impacts and outcomes. It examines the variety of drivers for corporate accountability and the role of corporations in relation to the environment. The course explores the nature and effectiveness of corporate responses to environmental responsibility and the role of strategic planning in achieving outcomes.
The course will analyse selected case studies, combined with visiting speakers from industry and government to examine specific approaches by government corporations. The role of NGOs, education and individual/collective action will also be explored to assess what future strategies might be most effective.
1. Gain an understanding of the role of corporations and their responsibilities;
2. Learn the role of corporate strategic and management planning in achieving sustainable outcomes;
3. Appreciate the alternative approaches by corporations to the environment;
4. Analyse best practice through case studies;
5. Analyse the corporate spin in relation to actual outcomes;
6. Gain an understanding of a number of tools and indices purporting to assess and/or rate corporate performance in environmental management; and
7. Consider what appropriate and effective actions you could take in your workplace or through community participation to assist corporations to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to contribute meaningfully to evaluations, designs, and analysis for environmental systems planning and management with both a local and global perspective.